Thursday, March 12, 2009

Final day in Sells, AZ

I am winding down this portion of the trip. It has been great to be in Sells on the Tohono O'odham Nation. Today we had lunch at one of the fast food places. Check it out below.



That's right! There are no fast food joints on the Reservation unless you count the roadside stands. But wow the food is great! I had a steak burro. It was huge and loaded with mesquite grilled meat, refried beans, chopped cabbage, and a sauce. I love finding the best local food and this did not disappoint.

Then in the afternoon I attended Sherrie Dodson's O'odham (pronounced Otham) language class at the Community College. The class had given me permission to set in provided I would participate. I figured they would leave me alone for the most part. But oh no! I was treated the same as any other student. For the first 10 minutes the teacher spoke only in O'odham and I was expected to answer (in O'odham) when spoken to. I can't remember when I have concentrated so hard. The rest of the class has been studying since January. When I realized the teacher was not going to skip over me I was deeply concerned. (Read panicked!) I was praying for a gift of tongues. I held my own with a little help from Sherrie, and even the instructor said I did a good job. But that was crazy! Here is the class: (Sherrie Dodson is fourth from the right)



It has been a privilege to be here and I will look forward to being able to come back some day. I'm hoping it will work out to be able to do a ministry event to support the local churches at some point.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey Timothy, I was at the NBBI grad conference, and really appreciated your ministry. Thanks too for being honest in your newsletters - keep it up!

Also want to commend your for your time at the Tohono O'odham Nation and even your efforts to speak the language. Many people in ministry overlook the Indigenous peoples of North America, but I commend you for ministering to them as well.

Keep your eyes on the Lord!