Saturday, November 8, 2008

Update on Wayne Watson Concert

We had a great time at the Wayne Watson Concert last night. It was a
benefit concert for Beginnings Care for Life, a pregnancy center in
Coldwater, MI. There was a good turn out and the folks gave generously
for the center. I mainly led worship and emceed the event. It was a
privilege to be there. Wayne was excellent, very down to earth and easy
to relate to. I appreciated that.

A funny thing happened after I finished my section of the event. I
wanted to make sure the piano was cleared off and ready for Wayne. So as
I finished my remarks and began to introduce him, I gathered up the
sheet music I had been using for the worship time from the top of the
piano. There were some other papers there that seemed to have been left
from the folks that did the offertory. So I gathered it all up,
introduced Wayne, and then walked off the platform. While Wayne was
singing his opening song, I wandered to the back room where my luggage
was stored and filed away the sheet music I had gathered off the piano.
In that stack of papers I found the other pages that I had picked up and
opened them up to see what they were. That was when I discovered I had
taken Wayne's set list from the piano, basically his game plan for the
concert. It was two pages with a list of songs in the order he was going
to perform them. I knew I had to get it back on the platform somehow,
but how? Thankfully, he was very laid back in his presentation between
the songs. At one point after his second song, he paused to take a
drink. I walked up on the platform with the papers in hand and said to
him off mic "You are going to need this." He looked at the papers and
then said into the mic "We have song request!". It was total class. He
realized I had accidentally taken the set list but didn't embarrass me
from the platform. He played it off like someone has sent a request
through me to the stage. I thought that was pretty cool the way he
handled it. He then set the list down and continued with the concert. It
was a great evening.

I am driving today to Marlette, Michigan for the event there tomorrow. I
will be ministering at Grace Bible Church in the morning and then
driving home to Tennessee in the afternoon and evening. If you think of
it, pray for alert driving and safety on the roads.

Have a great day!

No comments: