Wednesday, October 8, 2008

You CAN go back

The other day I was driving to the Men's Retreat in Northern Michigan,
where I was scheduled to speak. It had been a long day on the road. As I
rounded the last curve before turning down the drive toward Camp
Ao-Wa-Kiya, I saw the lake on my right and the small black and white
sign that read "Stoney Lake". That name echoed through my mind and I
wondered why it seemed familiar. Then I remembered that it is the name
of the Lake where I went to camp as a child, to the Bible Memory
Association Camp. What great memories from those years as a child.

I arrived at Camp Ao-Wa-Kiya and made my way into the main lodge. A
woman greeted me and began to show me around. I asked her if she knew
where on the lake the BMA Camp was. She replied "You're standing on it."
It was surreal. As I began to look around, I noticed a few of the old
cabins and building that I remembered from 30 years ago. There was the
old stone house where you had to go to quote your memory verses to be
allowed in camp. The shoreline looked familiar. The old chapel where I
had done business with God was still there but had been converted into
more lodging space when a new chapel was built.

What was so weird was to think back at the decisions I made then. I
remember specifically a night when the invitation song was "Is your all
on the altar of sacrifice laid". And I hope that same chorus still
rings true in my heart today.

It was interesting to consider how the path has led these past 30 years
to bring me back to a spiritual marker point in my life.

Yes, you can go back again...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've been trying to look up the Old Miracle Camp on the computer for a while, and stumbled across this post. Thanks for the memories, and I *wish* you took pictures!

Timothy Mark said...

I have a couple of pics on my cell phone. I was wishing I had my camera with me as well. If I can get the pics off my cell, I will post some here. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get the pics off a phone let me know. Also, you might be able to get some pics from the Ao-Wa-Kiya websight. Just Google that name. Brad, what years were you there?

Anonymous said...

I was there a lot...My Brothers Roger and Gordon went there, and I did as well. I started (I wanna say) around 1980, and went all the way to high school...to 1990-1991. Was every job under the sun there. Camper, Aspiring whitefoot, Whitefoot, Advanced Whitefoot...counselor. Latter years spent several weeks in a row up there. I really miss those times. Had a great time, and met a lot of great people.

Timothy Mark said...

Hey Brad, I was able to get the pics off the cell phone and have posted them in a new post to the blog. Hope it brings back lots of great memories.